Car Accidents

If you’ve just been in a car accident, the first thing to remember is don’t panic! Simply exchange names, addresses, phone numbers, driver’s license numbers, and car registration with the driver of the other vehicle. Call your insurance company as soon as possible.

If the other person is blaming you, and you don’t think it was your fault, try to get the names and numbers of any witnesses before calling your insurance company.

If the accident is over $1,000 in damage or if an injury is involved, you are required by law to file an accident report with the police within 24 hours. The contact numbers for police and OPP in Huron and Perth Counties are listed under the section ” Victim and Witness Assistance”. In a emergency situation, dial 911.

WARNING: It is a very serious offence to drive away from the scene of an accident.

Stratford Police Service

Municipal policing services for the City of Stratford. For non emergency crime related incidents such as vandalism, graffiti and to provide information on past acts. For emergency incidents, residents should call 911.